ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] GNSO PDP Feb 06: Preliminary Taskforce Report

  • To: "'Maureen Cubberley'" <m.cubberley@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Liz Williams'" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] GNSO PDP Feb 06: Preliminary Taskforce Report
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:34:10 -0400

Thanks, Maureen. I?ll look for the preliminary report later today, as Liz
has noted.

Thanks as well for your leadership of the TF. I believe we did agree in
Marrakech to both conf. calls AND a face to face meeting. As an ?old hand?
at policy development both externally and in ICANN, I note that actually,
face to face meetings are ?forcing events? and will help to ?pull? other
work along, so that everyone is prepared for the face to face session.

A few thoughts:

1) Can we do the call of the TF this next week? There is no WHOIS TF call
next week, so it is a good week to have a conf. call for many of the
participants of the TF.

2) I?ve reviewed the draft prepared by staff/edited by Maureen.

            a) the identification of independent experts needs more
attention. I understand one of the ?experts? I suggested has a conflict.

            b) I look forward to reading the compiled materials that staff
are organizing/researching. However, this will not replace the need for
independent experts to interact and dialogue with the TF.

            c) we should look at a schedule for the work of the TF and
schedule 2-3 working conf. calls where we can discuss the compiled
materials, and also talk to the ?experts? and

d) confirm the dates and location for the face to face meeting, determine
whether there is financial sponsorship for participation by TF members from
ICANN.

I understand that staff have some concerns about the constituency
statements. I think that we should all recognize that it is not possible for
constituencies to go further without additional independent experts; hence,
the BC recommendation for a way to provide such additional support. At the
Council review, we recognized that the PDP is not a perfect process and
needs to be adjusted in order to enable the GNSO to meet its policy
responsibilities.

The TF also needs to discuss how it plans to address the implications of
posted draft registry agreements that incorporate elements that are now
under discussion in this PDP. I understand from staff comments that these
registry agreements were redrafted at the request of the registry operators
after the .net award, and that this process has been underway for a year.
However, I also note that PDP06 has relevance for several elements in the
draft agreements. The TF and Council need to work together to address this
and take into account timeliness.

I support that the TF needs to have a firm working conf. call schedule and
face to face meeting confirmatioan as soon as possible, and the resources
needed to further its work and drafting of policy. That seems to be the
immediate priority and I ask that we try our best to have that working call
of the TF 06 the week of 8/7.

I can make a call Tuesday p.m., and then essentially any time Wednesday
through Friday of next week. Am not available Monday or Tuesday a.m. from
11-1 p.m.

I know we are all working around holiday schedules and that makes it
challenging to work out schedules, but still critical to do.

  _____