ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] GNSO PDP Feb 06: Proposed Work Plan - MOTION REQUIRED

  • To: "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] GNSO PDP Feb 06: Proposed Work Plan - MOTION REQUIRED
  • From: "Cubberley, Maureen \(CHT\)" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:20:51 -0500

Liz and Members of the Task Force,

Thank you Liz for the draft work plan.

After reviewing my notes from the task force teleconference and the MP3
recording, I have added some elements to the work plan and have altered
the timeline to reflect the discussion and the subsequent points that
have been raised by some of the task force members  over the past two or
three days.

I will send my changes to the timeline in a separate email for review,
amendments if any, and approval by the TF.  As Liz has rightly noted, we
need a motion to that effect.

We need three motions in total.  In this email, I am asking for motion

The three motions are;

1.  Approval of adjusted work plan (my revisions will follow in a
separate email.)

2. Minutes of previous TF teleconference (which we did not approve
during our August 10th call - my concurrent thanks and apologies to CARY
for alerting me to the proper procedure for a 'no' vote and not calling
it.) Glen, would you please provide a link to those minutes, for the
convenience of the TF members?  Thank you.

3. Motion to approve TF Chair to write to Council Chair requesting
clarification on how our work relates to the renewal process for TLD
contracts.    Could we please have a mover and seconder for the motion?
Thank you.

( A copy of that memo is attached, and appears here.)

Memo to Bruce Tonkin, Chair GNSO Council from Maureen Cubberley, Chair
PDP Feb 06 Task Force

Dear Bruce,

During the Thursday, August 10th, 2006 PDP Feb 06 Task Force
teleconference an issue of concern was raised by some of the Task Force
members, and I proposed to make you aware of it by means of this
memorandum, the purpose of which is to seek clarification from the
Council and request that you to communicate the contents of this
memorandum to the ICANN Board.

On behalf of the Task Force, I am requesting clarification on how our
work relates to the renewal process for gTLD contracts.

The issue was raised in light of the renewal of the three gTLD Registry
agreements .biz, .info, and .org, as announced by ICANN staff on July
28, and which is concurrent with the Task Force's work to determine the
policy issues around renewal of existing agreements.

The fundamental question is; Is it valid for the task force to set
policy in parallel with the work of the ICANN staff to move forward on
renewals? This is a question for the GNSO Council to consider.

If the TF's recommendations lead to consensus policy that differs from
contract wording will all current gTLDs contracts be changed
retroactively as a result?

If the answer to that question is 'no', the validity of the Task Force,
and more directly, the GNSO as the policy development body is in
question.

It is important to note that these issues were raised by some members of
the Task Force; however, there is not unanimity in the group's opinion.
Another strong opinion supported the continuation of contract
negotiation in parallel with the work of the Task Force.

Thank you for your consideration.  On behalf of the Task Force, I await
your reply.

Kind regards,

Maureen