ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pdp-pcceg-feb06]

RE: [council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] FW: PDP Feb 06: Draft Agenda 10 August

  • To: "'Cubberley, Maureen \(\(CHT\)\)'" <MCubberley@xxxxxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] FW: PDP Feb 06: Draft Agenda 10 August
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:46:35 -0400

Post one of two: this posting contains significant enhancements to the draft
work plan. My second post will include the line edits to the draft report,
inserting information that was submitted by the BC regarding the use of
independent experts that has somehow been omitted from the draft report and
asking the staff to treat all the constituency statements similarly. Right
now, the report summarizes two or three of the statements, but merely
acknowledges the others. The report h as to be more than a listing of
submissions. Added value is needed in the body of the report to add in
substance. I have been tied up all day on business activities and
unfortunately, my working day is not over. However, I will complete my
second posting before I close out my working day.

Changes to the DRAFT work plan:

I have spent some time reviewing the bylaws, the previous work of other TFs
and the topics we are addressing in this PDP -06. As the former chair of a
TF and co-chair of another TF, I am aware that the full TF has a
responsibility to manage and move the work, supported by staff. I greatly
appreciate the initial draft work plan that staff has posted for our review
and consideration.

Accordingly, I?ve reviewed the work plan and believe it needs some
elaboration and augmentation.  One glaring omission that I just caught is
the omission of the face to face meeting that we have already agreed to. I
did book the AT&T Innovation Center as a possible option for that meeting
from 10-12 October, per the latest discussion. Other better meeting options
may exist, so I noted that the location is TBD.  AT&T will provide the space
without charge, and they have installed an overhead audio bridge that
supports desk mikes, similar to what we have used recently. That means most
of the structural planning support is taken care of. I believe we have those
dates blocked out, but if the dates change, I will need to reconfirm with
AT&T Innovation Center re availability.

In reviewing this draft work plan, I have suggested some additional full TF
working sessions. Other TFs have had great success with some methods that
can be helpful for this TF.

The WHOIS TF meets bi-weekly and has interacted with external sources on
several occasions, always improving the understanding of the TF members,
even though they have been working together for a longer period of time.
Other TFs have also conducted conf. call outreach sessions and benefited
from those interactions,. The President?s Advisory Committee on Strategy
recently held a 5+ hour outreach session and had some excellent inputs from
parties who would not have spent time drafting written submissions, but from
whom we learned a good deal.   The earlier WHOIS TF used sub groups to do
pieces of work and then share with the rest of the fuller TF, thus advancing
work when the chair wasn?t available, or when tasks could be subdivided and
then brought back together.

Overall, to achieve an effective and well documented work product, this TF
needs to increase its working together and to augment how it works. In a few
cases, it is possible that subgroups of TF members who are available can
advance work that the fuller TF can then review and discuss/agree to. In
other cases, the work should be inclusive of the full TF.  I?ve identified
suggested enhancements and augmentations to the work load.

While I understand that some will be dismayed at the opportunity for more
conference calls and meetings, we have to be realistic about our
responsibility to fully address and explore the issues in order to make
policy recommendations that stand up to the high standard that the GNSO
prides itself on, and that the fuller community expects from the bottom up,
consensus based policy development process at ICANN that helps to provide
accountability and credibility to ICANN.

My changes appear in blue, include additional events and processes, and have
a few comments that are in [ ] that should be read as mere commentary.

DRAFT Work plan

16 August 2006:  Final edits to be sent on Preliminary Taskforce Report.
Please include "impact on constituency analysis" and please provide specific
text change suggestions.

 MSC comments:  it will be necessary to give the Constituencies the
opportunity to comment after there are draft recommendations re the
?impact?.

16 August 2006:  Final deadline for submission of suggestions for expert
materials

SEVERAL SUGGESTED ADDITIONS TO WORK PLAN FOLLOW;

18 August 2006: Deadline for submission of questions for experts

23 August 2006:  Distribution of expert materials for consideration by the
TF.

 25 August 2006:   Ad hoc working group of interested TF members to organize
the submitted questions, align them, and create final draft list of
questions.

[MSC COMMENTS:  I?ve seen some questions to date and realize that the TF can
work as a sub committee of interested parties to take the final set of
submitted questions from all TF members and help to organize them into
logical categories, with staff supporting this effort.  It is possible that
some TF members can use an additional day or two for submitting questions.
Given how the work is progressing, using this approach will supplement the
limited staffing resources but also not require all TF members to
participate. Since the call would be to do really an administrative
organizing task, I would suggest that it doesn?t need a chair, but can be a
voluntary working group. ] the output of questions will be posted to the
fuller TF for final edits and return with 72 hours.

28 August  2006:  final list of questions for experts available.

September 7 : and September 14 :    Working calls of TF to discuss ?expert
materials? in a moderated roundtable dialogue to discuss views of TF on the
expert papers distributed. TF members can volunteer to lead a discussion of
a particular ?paper? or view. These should be working conference calls, with
transcription and heavy/accurate minutes of the outcomes of the discussions.
This is not decisional, but will ensure a sharing of views and perspectives
of what the expert materials ?mean;? or how they can be used/applied. TF
members can ?sign up? for analyzing or leading the discussion on particular
materials. Not all TF members need to participate in the discussions, but at
least one rep from each constituency should be available. Observers can be
accommodated in listen in mode. The availability of the transcript and
minutes that document any outcomes and ?agreements? or lack thereof will
augment the record of the work of the TF.

September 18 and September 20:  Conference calls with independent experts re
the questions agreed to in earlier work of

TF.  These calls can be one to two hour conference calls, with identified
/invited experts who discuss the questions sent by the TF. As described in
the BC?s proposal, while it possible to have constituencies propose a
representative to present a perspective, this is not a replacement for
independent experts with anti trust and competition expertise, including
from competition authorities.  These calls should be organized in advance
with bios of the independent experts, transcribed, and become part of the
documentation and available materials that support the TF?s work.

21 September 2006:  Proposed date for next teleconference - agenda will be
sent 7 days prior to the call.  Call designed to discuss recommendations
that can be drawn of review of expert materials and consultation with
independent experts, and discuss the impact on draft recommendations for the
Preliminary Taskforce Report.  Note that this is after the already scheduled
Amsterdam meetings and after the regular GNSO Council call on 14 September.

28 September 2006:  Release completed  Preliminary Taskforce Report and
begin 20 day public comment period

2-6 October 2006 /or 10-12 October at face to face meeting:    TF to host
open conference calls to hear public comments on the Preliminary Task Force
Report. Calls should be organized with agendas, scheduled speakers from a
pre sign up list [follow the format used in earlier work of TF that have
used this method to have a ?sign up process? to get a speaking slot, hear
from those who sign up to speak, have this transcribed, and add it into the
record of feedback. Also use the written public comment process, of course,
as required by bylaws.

This can be done in ½ day of the face to face meeting.

[MSC comment: we know from experience that the public comment process has
worked best when it is augmented by the use of the conference call
augmentation. It would be a serious gap if the TF failed to take advantage
of the lessons learned in outreach. ]

10 October 2006:  Public comment period closes

10-12 October 2006 FACE TO FACE MEETING OF TF/location to be decided.

15 October /or thereabouts: TF discusses and reviews the draft final report
for accuracy details ? editorial type review.

20 October 2006:  Release of Final Report to GNSO Council -- please note
section 10 of PDP guidelines which refers to Council deliberation and, if
the Council chooses, hearing of expert advisors

 [MSC Comments: The Council may decide also to identify and retain
independent experts. This is not to replace the ability of the TF to use
such resources.

Mid October: Council should have a working session to discuss the report in
detail. This needs to be calendared as a separate Council session. We have a
full agenda at all Council meetings and will have other work to do in the
regular October Council meeting.

30 October 2006:  GNSO Council meets in second working session to further
discuss Final Report.  Incorporation of any final commentary.

1-3 November 2006  final review by Councilors and liaisons of the final
version of staff?s draft after incorporation of last inputs/edits from 30
October 2006 meeting.

3 November 2006:  Final Council Report to Board  sent to Board by Council
Chair.

  _____