ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[pednr-board-recommendations]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Recommendation

  • To: pednr-board-recommendations@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Recommendation
  • From: Sagan Web Design and Internet Marketing <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:01:41 -0600

Hello,

I have a big concern with domains that expire and go into "extended expiration." My host/registrar has let me know that instead of the domain that I had owned expiring and being available to be purchased again by others or even myself at regular price, they have taken that domain and put it into 'extended expiration for an additional 2 - 3 months (tucows does this) at a cost of 10x more than regular registration/renewal costs. This practice should be banned as now I must wait an additional 2 months before I can re register that domain, or I must pay 10x the money. I can see how this practice is technically legitimate, but regulation in this area would be helpful. Either a ban of this practice altogether or perhaps a cap on the amount one may charge for this apparently required deal, ( I did not opt into such a service, nor was I made aware of it prior to registering my domain.)

--
~ Serj
Sagan Marketing

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>