ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-biz-info-org-agreements]

Revised .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG Registry Agreements Posted for Public Comment - We said NO!!!!

  • To: revised-biz-info-org-agreements@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Revised .BIZ, .INFO AND .ORG Registry Agreements Posted for Public Comment - We said NO!!!!
  • From: "Dirk Janssens" <dirjan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:18:47 +0100

Here are a few of the objections to the prior contract:

1) Insufficient time for public comment
2) Lack of competitive bidding for renewal (i.e. awarding a permanent
monopoly)
3) Uncapped price increases in the face of declining costs of required
technology
4) Permitting differential pricing on domain renewals
5) Registry ownership and the unfettered resale of public and private data

You have responded with:

1) Even less time for public comment
2) Lack of competitive bidding for renewal (i.e. a permanent monopoly)
3) 10% annual price increases in the face of declining costs
4) Permitting differential pricing
5) Registry ownership and the unfettered resale of public and private data

I publicly question ICANNs motives in rushing to push through such a
fundamentally flawed contract to award monopolies. There is either
undeniable incompetence or corruption at hand. These contracts are clearly a
sweetheart deal for a few registries at the expense of thousands of
businesses and individuals who's views ICANN is also supposed to consider,
and who have strongly voiced their opposition to these terms.

I am opposed to these contracts as written.

Rgds,
DJ