ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

Bad Idea

  • To: <revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Bad Idea
  • From: Chrystalline Lauryl <cdlauryl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 07:59:53 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

Well, I am neither a registrar nor a mindless sheep, and I also think this
is a bad idea.  For starters, how in the world did anyone think it was a
good idea to settle lawsuits against Verisign by giving them control over a
significant chunk of domain registry?  It was getting to be too much work to
keep mending the fences, so we put the fox in charge of the henhouse?  With
(how many?  It's not easy to find a number here) actionable instances of
misbehavior on Verisign's record, rewarding them in this way is
counter-productive at best.

Competition is crucial to the success of business.  When a company achieves
monopoly, assuming Anti-Trust laws don't break it up, it stagnates.  The
monopoly assumes it can do whatever it wants, with the result that, if
people are able to leave, they will.  Companies that have no choice will
remain with .com, but the majority of internet denizens are a feisty bunch,
and are most likely to leave the .com extension in droves.  Frankly, I don't
want to have to give up my four .com domains, but the idea of being trapped
in this way is extremely distasteful to me.  I would likely take the time to
shift all my sites over to one of the as-yet unaffected domain extensions.

Regarding the increased charges, only a dreamer would believe that Verisign
will not find a way to pass on increased costs.  It's a basic fact of
business - the cost of business is passed on to the middlemen and then to
the consumers.  This stated restriction only means they won't be able to
call it what it is.

I understand needing to have a central organization to manage the
registration of domains, but it was my understanding that ICANN was that
organization.  If it is not up to the challenge, perhaps a more democratized
method should be found.  I would be much more in favor of an internet
congress than this proposal.

CDLauryl
www.CDLauryl.com
www.TiltedWindmill.com