ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[revised-settlement]

ICANN/Verisign Agreement

  • To: revised-settlement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN/Verisign Agreement
  • From: Joe Greco <jgreco@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:31:58 -0600 (CST)

This deal does not appear to have the best interests of the Internet at
heart; rather, it appears to be a gold mine for Verisign.

Of the people I have talked to regarding this issue, not one believes that
ICANN is doing the right thing.

Verisign has shown a repeated lack of responsibility in administering the
services it is contracted to do, and instead of this settlement, the
contract should be cancelled and reopened for bidding.  Verisign's past
negative actions should be heavily weighed in when considering any future
bids.

Tucows has issued detailed comments on this issues; I would repeat almost
all of these comments nearly verbatim.

If ICANN proceeds with this settlement, it will give ICANN the appearance
of folding /and/ taking a payoff from Verisign to settle the SiteFinder
issue.  If ICANN proceeds with this settlement, it will be time for the
Internet to consider disbanding ICANN and looking towards an international
authority for assigning names and numbers, capable of holding the best
interests of the Internet as its primary goal.

... JG