ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[root-glue-comments]

Comments on DNS Root zone glue record maintenance

  • To: root-glue-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on DNS Root zone glue record maintenance
  • From: Marius Olafsson <marius@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 11:03:58 +0000

There are two types of objects in the root zone, domains (the TLDs)
and hosts (the TLD glue records). IANA already maintains a database
of domain objects, along with their official admin and tech contacts.
It is our considered opinion that IANA should also maintain a database of
host objects along with their contact object(s).

This way the process of updating the glue records could be automated.
Change control of the host objects would reside with their contact(s)
and not with the contacts of the domain objects, thus effecting a complete
separation of authority along natural separation of real control. The
contacts of the host objects would log in to an automated IANA database
update process, very similar to the one the TLD contacts would use
to change their domain objects. Note that there will be considerable
overlap between the contact objects for domains and for hosts.

Checks (mirroring checks done when the domain object is changed) could be
done once a host object is changed (resulting in a changed glue record
in the root zone) to warn the host administrator if the change affects
any of the TLDs sharing this host. IANA could notify all the TLD administrators
whose TLDs are affected by the change. However, ultimate change control
would always be with the host's contacts.

IANA could require that at least one TLD zone is installed on any new
host registered to keep frivoulus registrations at a minimum, and purge
all unreferenced hosts and contacts regularly from the database, or even
charge a nominal amount per object in this database.

> 1. How should IANA accept requests to alter root zone glue? (either in
> general,
>    or specifically for shared glue)

Changes are made to the root zone glue by the registered contact(s) of
the host object from which the glue record is derived. The contact logs
in to request the change, IANA confirms with the registered contact(s).
No need for special treatment of shared glue.

> 2. What criteria should be used to approve shared root zone changes?

No special treatment, possibly notify contacts of affected TLDs.

> 3. In the event that an affected party contests a change, how should
>    this conflict resolved and on what grounds can a change proceed
>    regardless?

There is no way for "affected party" to control what the owner of an
host does with their own hardware. The fact that the TLD manager has
delegated their TLD to the host in question, is assumed to mean that
the TLD manager trusts the host owner. Change should proceed
regardless.  By removing change control of hosts from the TLD managers,
these questions become moot.

> 4. Are there any other unintended consequences of renumbering a
>    shared name server that have not been considered?

None that are aparent to us...

For the .IS ccTLD manager,

--
Marius Olafsson (.is tech-c)