ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Competitive Bidding

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Competitive Bidding
  • From: Steven Kennedy <scrsteven@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:13:02 -0600

I believe ICANN should open up the .com registry to competitive bidding when
the current Verisign contract comes to its conclusion. Trying to eliminate
all litigation will cause even more litigation to be filed against ICANN
from hundreds of prominent domain registrars and owners of large portfolios.
There is no valid reason for the cost of .com registration to rise when
Tucows and Aflias each spoke on the record saying they would manage the .com
registry for $2 and $4 per domain, respectively. Thus, I strongly oppose
renewing a contract with Verisign or entering into a new agreement with them
that allows the prices to rise. Additionally, the SiteFinder program by
Verisign is anti-competitive in its nature and should never be allowed to
operate.
-Steven Kennedy
Holder of over 100 .com domains