ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Please cancell the settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Please cancell the settlement
  • From: Nishant <webstars@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:04:21 +0530

Sir,
I am one of the resellers of the famous domain names reseller agency
directi.com

My company smokyhosts.com has been in business of selling domain names since
the past one year and all our customers are satisfied with the costs at
which we offer them the domain names. However as underlined by
directi.comCEO and as given in your settlement documents.... the
settlement would cause
all the costs of the .com domain names be increased which in turn directi
will levie on us (resellers) and further we would levie on our customers.
Also ICANN is supposed to act as an administrator of the Internet on behalf
of the Internet community. This proposed settlement however benefits ICANN
and Verisign *at the cost of the community*.

Also this settlement seems to have an adverse effect on the growth of .com
domain names because of the frank reason that The new settlement agreement
has a perpetual presumptive renewal clause. This means that Verisign will
permanently hold on to the dotCom Registry. There will never be any
competitive bid for it, except in a very remote circumstance. Verisign now
gets the right to a perpetual monopoly. This means that they are free to do
whatever they want with dotCom, without fear of competition. Prices
therefore will *never reduce*.

So on behalf of all my customers and for the goodwill of the co-resellers i
would like you to think about cancelling the decision of settlement against
Verisign.

Thanking you
Nishant Kaushal
Founder smokyhosts.com