ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

New fees without control?

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: New fees without control?
  • From: diogo@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:00:44 +0000

We represent 300 .com domains registrered through our company.

We are very sorry to hear the news about the proposed settlement between
ICANN and VeriSign. This sounds like a Cartel to me. I don't know how
this kind of deal is allowed in the competitive world. I don't know how
we can allow two monopolies to scratch each other's back, maximizing
their own profits and sacrificing consumers' benefits. Ultimately, it is
consumers who will pay for their "collaboration."
We have a big crises in Portugal, and we belive that this settlement will make
a big damage to our business. Our margin as domain reseller will be seriously
in danger.

As a result, we propose:

*       The proposed .com renewal contract should be reworked to reflect
the Internet community's concerns.
*       The gTLD namespaces are a public trust; no registry operator,
including VeriSign, should be given indefinite control over them,
especially one as important as .com.
*       VeriSign's unilateral price increases that are not cost-based
and not subject to approval should not be allowed.
*       All ICANN fees should continue to be approved by the Internet
community.
*       Internet users should not have to pay an unreasonable "ICANN
Tax" or pay more for domain names just to increase VeriSign's profits.

Sincerely,
Duarte Diogo
CEO Chrome, Lda

Chrome - ServiÃos de InformÃtica, Lda
Portugal
NÃmero GrÃtis / Toll Free Phone: 800 206 318
International +351 219 170 955 +351 919 358 908