ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

do not sell out the internet

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: do not sell out the internet
  • From: ourclientsupport@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:48:44 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I find the manipulation by Verisign to be reprehensible.  I have been working
in the web industry since 1997 when Network Solutions was the only registrar.
The opening of the market to other companies has helped the web industry
enormously.

Many people do not buy .TV domains because they used to have a percentage price
increase per year.  They probably still have this mechanism but since I do not
buy or recommend them for purchase then I am not sure.  If .COM domains are
allowed to rise by 7 percent a year it will double the price in ten years.
This is not only bad for me and my business, it is bad for people in less
economically advantaged countries.

Today, we do business through ProsperityWebs.com and have a large number of
customers who would be adversely affected by this.  Verisign should not have
control over .com or any other extension.  They should only be allowed to
function  as a registrar.   We also work with many non-profits who would also
be adversely affected by this proposed change as some of them have been forced
to obtain .com names because of a lack of availability of names in the .org
extension.

Increasing dotCom domain name prices will affect our customers and businesses
we do webs for as well as affect millions of people who have this extension.

People across the globe, in various countries will clearly be hurt by such a
move.  We are confident that ICANN will win this law suit.  We urge you to
persevere.

ICANN should not sign this Settlement!
ICANN will more likely win this lawsuit than lose it. There is no reason for it
to sell out the Internet to settle this litigation when you will win.

The settlement does not provide benefits to the Internet community that ICANN
is intended to serve.

Around the world prices for domain names and web services are reducing.
Allowing Verisign to profit through such a price agreement is counter
productive and indeed destructive.  It is not within the mission of ICANN to
grant an increase in the prices which benefits one company and hurts the world
community

ICANN is supposed to act as an administrator of the Internet on behalf of the
Internet community. This proposed settlement however benefits ICANN and
Verisign at the cost of the community.

Please persist in opposing Verisign and thereby protecting world community
interests against those of a single corporation.

sincerely,

Alan D