ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Comments on proposed settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on proposed settlement
  • From: Gianluca Campanella <gcampanella@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:29:33 +0100

I represent LyraNet.it, an Italian Internet Service Provider in business
since 2001.

As a company responsible for managing several domain names in various
TLDs, both for internal use and for our customers, we feel that this
proposal will be at the disadvantage of those Internet users whose
countries' ccTLDs are inoperative, poorly managed or closed to the public.

Furthermore, since prices for domain names and Web services are globally
decreasing, we see no motivation for ICANN to grant VeriSign the
permission to raise the prices, hence benefiting at the cost of the
Internet community they should rather serve.

In consequence, given the essential role of .COM in today's Internet, we
urge ICANN, on behalf of the Internet community itself, not to sign the
proposed ICANN-VeriSign settlement, thus preventing the likelihood of
VeriSign increasing the price for .COM domains over the next years.

Gianluca Campanella LyraNet.it Roteglia di Castellarano (RE), Italy