ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

bad settlement

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: bad settlement
  • From: "Xavier Soares" <xavier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:06:03 -0000

    We represent 300 .com domains registrered through our company.

We are very sorry to hear the news about the proposed settlement between

ICANN and VeriSign. This sounds like a Cartel to me. I don't know how

this kind of deal is allowed in the competitive world. I don't know how

we can allow two monopolies to scratch each other's back, maximizing

their own profits and sacrificing consumers' benefits. Ultimately, it is

consumers who will pay for their "collaboration."

We have a big crises in Portugal, and we belive that this settlement will
make

a big damage to our business. Our margin as domain reseller will be
seriously

in danger.

As a result, we propose:

*       The proposed .com renewal contract should be reworked to reflect

the Internet community's concerns.

*       The gTLD namespaces are a public trust; no registry operator,

including VeriSign, should be given indefinite control over them,

especially one as important as .com.

*       VeriSign's unilateral price increases that are not cost-based

and not subject to approval should not be allowed.

*       All ICANN fees should continue to be approved by the Internet

community.

*       Internet users should not have to pay an unreasonable "ICANN

Tax" or pay more for domain names just to increase VeriSign's profits.

Sincerely,

  _____

 <http://www.centroserv.net/>

GIF image