ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Internet sellout proposal

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Internet sellout proposal
  • From: "reddy" <reddy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:08:15 -0700

Dear ICANN,

I idea of the manipulation by Verisign of the .com domain registry is a
scary thought.  I have been working in the internet industry since 1993 and
at that time when Network Solutions was the only registrar. The opening of
the domain registry business to other companies has been a real help to the
web industry in general.

If .com domains are allowed to rise in price by 7 percent a year it will
double the price in ten years. This is not only bad for me and my business,
it is bad for a lot of my clients in less economically advantaged countries.

Today, I do business through ahostco.com and jesussites.org and I have a
large number of customers who would be adversely affected by this.  Verisign
should not have control over .com or any other extension. They should only
be allowed to function  as a registrar just like all the other registrars. I
also work with a lot of non-profits who would also be very adversely
affected by this proposed change as some of them can hardly afford to buy
domain names now and I would imagine that this move would probably drive
domain prices up in general instead of going down as they currently have
been. Increasing dotCom domain name prices will affect our customers and
businesses we do webs for as well as affect millions of people who have this
extension.

People across the globe, in various countries will clearly be hurt by such a
move.  We are confident that ICANN will win this law suit.  We urge you to
persevere.

ICANN should not sign this Settlement! ICANN will more likely win this
lawsuit than lose it. There is no reason for it to sell out the Internet to
settle this litigation when you will win.

The settlement does not provide benefits to the Internet community that
ICANN is intended to serve.

Around the world prices for domain names and web services are reducing.
Allowing Verisign to profit through such a price agreement is counter
productive and indeed destructive.  It is not within the mission of ICANN to
grant an increase in the prices which benefits one company and hurts the
world
Community.

ICANN is supposed to act as an administrator of the Internet on behalf of
the Internet community. This proposed settlement however benefits ICANN and
Verisign at the cost of the community.

Please persist in opposing Verisign and thereby protecting world community
interests against those of a single corporation.

sincerely,

Robert B Eddy