ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Verisign Settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Verisign Settlement
  • From: "fostor.net - tony" <tonyewen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:55:30 -0500 (EST)

Dear Sir/Madam,

I just learnt about the propossed settlement between ICANN and Verisign, and I
am very surprised on the direction of this settlement. I cannot understand why
ICANN is not willing to fight and to win this selfish act by Verisign.

As we all know, the litigation brought by Verisign is to benefit Verisign
itself. I strongly believe ICANN should never give away control of the dotcom
registry to Verisign. The proposed settlement agreement also has a perpetual
presumptive renewal clause. Does this mean that Verisign will permanently hold
on to the dotCom Registry? Will this agreement let Verisign get the right to a
perpetual monopoly?

The annual 7% increase will double the current fee in just 10 years. I feel
that this will substantially affect my business in which I am competing to
reduce cost whenever possible. I am strongly against Verisign's attempt to
monopolize the dotcom registry and to have a protected status to increase fee
without competition from others. I believe ICANN has the power to stop this and
to do the right thing for the internet community in general - not exclusivity
for an individual organization like Verisign.

Thank you for your just consideration.

Sincerely yours,

Tony E Wen
Owner