ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN - do not sign this Settlement!

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - do not sign this Settlement!
  • From: <dwenger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:27:15 -0800

Hello,

My name is Dennis Wenger and I have been in business with OnNet(3) for 10
years. I represent the voices of hundred of consumers who will have to pay for
your decision
should you settle and allow domain prices to increase.

I personally have over 700 domains that run my business. I do not see the
justification to increase the annual cost of maintaining a registered domain
and believe your settlement will do just that - increase domain registration
costs.

You have now have the choice of making the correct decision and for the
consumers sake and your responsibility to the TLD's you assist in managing I
hope you prove yourself worthy and make the right decision. Everyone in the
world is watching the decision you make and will hold you accountable for it.
Please make the right decision and do what is best for the consumers and not
the easiest route for ICANN.

Why ICANN should not sign this Settlement?

  a.. ICANN itself has stated publicly that it is more likely to win the
lawsuit than lose it. There is no reason for it to sell out the Internet to
settle this litigation when there is a greater chance of it winning the lawsuit
anyways.

  b.. The outcome does not provide benefits to the Internet community that both
ICANN and Verisign were intended to serve.

  c.. The ICANN staff are proposing to provide Verisign the ability to increase
their prices by 7% annually. Everywhere around the world prices for domain
names and web services are reducing. There is no reason for ICANN to grant an
increase in the prices.

  d.. ICANN is supposed to act as an administrator of the Internet on behalf of
the Internet community. This proposed settlement however benefits ICANN and
Verisign at the cost of the community.

Thank you for your time,

Regards,

Dennis Wenger