ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN, Verisign Reach Proposed Settlement

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>, <cgutierrez@xxxxxxx>, <mgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN, Verisign Reach Proposed Settlement
  • From: "Sheryl Berentz" <falconaz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:06:52 -0700

Gentlemen,

I am writing regarding the proposed settlement Icann, Verisign.

I wish to relay my concern regarding this settlement and request that you
consider not approving it. We are a small business in Northeastern Arizona
that provides services relating to domain registration and management.

We deliberately became a reseller with another accredited registrar to
provide domain registrations & management quite simply because of inferior
service provided by Verisign (Network Solutions). We found their interfaces
to be unwieldy, their requests for customer service totally inferior (and in
many cases ignored). Their "paperwork" for accessing domain registrations,
changes or management, etc is totally inept. Frankly, we choose to do
business with ANYONE other than Verisign. We would encourage you NOT to
approve this agreement. It will be costly to our small business even though
we only provide services for approximately 100-150 customers. We expect to
continue with reasonable costs regarding domain registrations/renewals. If
this agreement is approved, it will impact our ability to continue to offer
registration services as a reseller because it will become not cost
effective for us to continue to offer services if Verisign is allowed to
increase the current fees which are capped plus handle the additional
contract issues that Verisign requires as part of it's company interfaces.

As I mentioned, we would rather do business with anyone BUT Verisign. If
this agreement is approved, it will impact our ability to work with our
current registrar on a reseller basis due to the increased costs.

Verisign (aka Network Solutions) used to have complete control of the .com
registry which was a virtual mess under their control as originally
authorized by our Government. We urge you to decline approval of this
agreement. Since their quality of service has realistically failed to
improve since the registry was opened up to allow other registrars, what
incentive would they have under this agreement to provide good customer
service?

Please do not approve this agreement.

Sincerely,

Sheryl Berentz