ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

Dot Com Increases, NO WAY!

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Dot Com Increases, NO WAY!
  • From: dns@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:36:22 -0500

Do you think we're idiots? What I find even more amazing is
that you obviously thought that you might slip this by the
internet public without notice. No caps on price increases
AND perpetual control of the COM registry for Verisign? I
have never seen a more blantant example of two organizations
scratching each other's backs than this one. ICANN gets to
increase (by a factor of three) it's budget and hence their fees
while Verisign has carte blanche on their .COM business
practices with no one to answer to about it except for their
"buddy" ICANN. The proposed .COM renewal contract
should be retooled to reflect the Internet community's
concerns. YOU WORK FOR US. WE DO NOT WORK FOR
YOU. gTLDs are a public trust and as such no registry
operator, including VeriSign, should be given indefinite control
over them, especially one as important as the .COM registry.
Wasn't this the reason why the monopoly was taken away from
Network Solutions? VeriSign's unilateral price increases that
are not cost-based and not subject to approval should not be
allowed. All ICANN fees should continue to be approved by
the Internet community. Internet users should not have to pay
an unreasonable "ICANN Tax" or pay more for domain names
just to increase VeriSign's profits. REMEMBER YOUR
FOUNDING CHARTER AND STOP TURNING INTO
WHAT YOU WERE CREATED TO PROTECT US FROM.
Lennie Core, Coreave Design & hosting

http://coreave.com