ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

do not approve ICANN/Verisign Proposed Settlement

  • To: <settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx>, <cgutierrez@xxxxxxx>, <mgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: do not approve ICANN/Verisign Proposed Settlement
  • From: "Val Nelson (Healthcommunities.com)" <vnelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:31:32 -0500

Dear ICANN, Mr. Guterriez, and US NTIA Assistant Secretary,

Please do not approve of the current version of the ICANN/Verisign
Proposed Settlement.

Our company, Healthcommunities.com, Inc., has provided
health-related web design, web hosting, and domain hosting for
over 6 years and domain names are a significant part of our
expenses. I believe that the below items in the proposed
settlement would have an unreasonable negative economic impact,
far beyond normal inflation, on our business, which in turn will
affect our consumers.

* The proposal allows Verisign to increase the price of .com
domain names by 7% each year.

* The proposal doubles the fees that accredited registrars must
pay to ICANN.

* The cancellation terms would be difficult to implement.
Therefore, Verisign will essentially gain perpetual control of the
.com registry. This effectively eliminates all incentive for
Verisign to improve
quality of service.

Please reconsider at least those aspects of the settlement. It
might take a little more time in negotiation but it will be worth
it.

Thank you,
Val Nelson
Website manager