ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[settlement-comments]

ICANN-Verisign Settlement

  • To: settlement-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN-Verisign Settlement
  • From: MacandD@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:58:25 EST

Dear ICANN Board,

As a small business owner who lives in a remote location (Maui, Hawai'i), I
depend on the Internet and therefore have read with great interest the news
articles and comments on this site regarding the controversy over the Verisign
settlement.

One thing jumped out at me this week that makes me realize that you, the
ICANN Board, must be very cautious as you consider the commentary made about
the
ICANN-Verisign settlement.  There seems to be a lot of competing agendas here
and not all of them are what they seem to be.  Just look at the recent news
stories and blogs.

The Coalition for ICANN Transparency filed a lawsuit this week.  According to
media reports and blogs I read, it's apparently a coalition of one,
Momentous.ca, which is connected to Pool.com.  This coalition has the stated
mission to
make ICANN transparent, but apparently its real objective is actually just to
block other companies from being able to offer a competing service.

The service is called the Central Listing Service.  It apparently allows
consumers to bid for a domain name that is expiring.  This Computer Business
Review article does an excellent job of describing what is really behind the
lawsuits:

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=C77F1538-AB61-42BC-93AF-5E1B888
3E0A1

As the CBR story details, it's resorting to suing in California court to stop
the service.

Therefore, it's important that the ICANN Board look behind the rhetoric and
understand the real agenda of the feedback you get, whether positive or
negative, towards the settlement.  As these actions demonstrate, some comments
you
cannot take at face value.

Good luck with your consideration of the settlement.

Regards, David McConnell.