ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Ideology vs. practicality in MAPO/MOPO

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Ideology vs. practicality in MAPO/MOPO
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 03:21:48 -0400

Thanks, Richard, excellent questions.

I think your description of what I'm suggesting is about right.  I don't think
there are any bright-line objective standards -- if there were, we wouldn't be
having this conversation.  That said, there are a few things that are thought
of internationally as "bad" -- child pornography, ethnic or religious hatred,
etc.   To these few norms, and phrases such as "profoundly and inherently
objectionable"  you would add the judgment of the panel, because remember it's
not just the string.  For instance, .jew in the hands of the Anti-Defamation
League is very different than .jew in the hands of Hamas.  And the same would
be true of .palestinian.

Clearly the deliberations of this panel should be available for public
scrutiny.  I think the practical effect would be that the only applications
that get rejected would be so appallingly awful that no-one would complain.
Short of that, the panel would be forcefully accused of censorship, and would
be loathe to reject anything that wasn't over the top.

Personally I don't think any application will provoke the sort of universal
loathing that would lead to a rejection.  But in case someone were dumb enough
to try, this panel is where it would die.  Recall also that ICANN is a
California not-for-profit and the freedom of speech laws of the U.S. would
presumably apply -- meaning that any rejection might well be litigated in court
-- where this issue probably belongs.

I don't believe that this issue has anything to do with conservative,
traditional, or religious governments.  These governments are quite content to
block things they don't like, as China does frequently, as Pakistan did with
Facebook recently.  They do it and have no remorse over doing so.   Rather, the
issue is with western democracies that have free-speech principles embodied in
their laws, but nonetheless do NOT want to see the first wave of TLDs contain
anything repugnant.  The U.S., for instance, won't be able to block
.kukluxklan, either legally under U.S. law or practically by sending an edict
to ISPs, and yet they would be very much opposed to its introduction into the
root.

I believe a broad-based panel, whose decisions and deliberations are held up to
public scrutiny (and possibly, public outcry), is a far better solution than
trying to define rules for something that is altogether indefinable, and also
better than some sort of secret panel, which is the other option.

Antony