ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Ideology vs. practicality in MAPO/MOPO

  • To: "'Richard Tindal'" <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Ideology vs. practicality in MAPO/MOPO
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:20:34 -0400

Richard and Antony

You're saying there are no international laws/ treaties on this topic (I think
that's a a statement of fact)  and that even when we talk about 'international
norms' we're on shaky ground as such norms are not well defined or broadly
accepted.

This is true.

Given the above  - you're suggesting this issue is best handled by a broad
based panel who would effectively vote on objectionable strings.

Regardless of the procedural merits of Antony's proposal, I don't see how
Antony moves from a recognition that there are no international standards to a
conclusion that an international panel should invent them. If there are no
globally applicable norms, much less legal standards, putting together a
broad-based panel to vote on these things is empowering them to _make_
international law.

Illegitimate, unacceptable, and in some countries, unconstitutional.