ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

[soac-mapo] RE: Initial Draft ToR for Recommendation 6 Implementation Discussion

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-mapo] RE: Initial Draft ToR for Recommendation 6 Implementation Discussion
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 15:13:05 -0400

Chuck,
The ToR draft contains some good, solid guidance from heading "Key assumptions"
on down, although I will propose some specific modifications.
Unfortunately, there are contradictory and unworkable elements before that,
especially in the section on the group's purpose and objective.

The ToR draft says,
"The purpose is not to revisit the intended aim of recommendation 6"

OK. What does Recommendation 6 say? This:
Strings must not be contrary to generally accepted legal norms relating to
morality and public order that are recognized under international principles of
law.

The ToR then says as a key assumption:
There is no internationally agreed definition of "Morality and Public Order".

OK, if there is no internationally agreed definition of MAPO, we are indeed
revisiting Rec. 6 - in fact we are completely defining it.
This becomes even clearer when we move down to the Tor's attempt to define an
objective for this WG:

The overall objective of the Rec6 CWG is to develop recommendations for an
effective objections procedure that both recognizes the relevance of national
laws and effectively addresses strings that raise national, cultural,
geographic, religious and/or linguistic sensitivities or objections that could
result in intractable disputes.

This seems to me to be a complete redefinition of Rec 6. More pointedly, let me
point out that in defining alleged objective of this WG you have simply taken
the objective outlined in the GAC Aug 4 statement, and substituted it for the
actual Recommendation 6 that emerged from the consensus process. Not
acceptable, sorry. To be more specific, the GNSO process never targeted what
the GAC statement calls "sensitive" strings per se, only illegal ones. Given
the inherent subjectivity of a "sensitivity" criterion, let me also call your
(and the GAC's) attention to Principle 1 and Recommendation 9, which state,
respectively:

All applicants for a new gTLD registry should therefore be evaluated against
transparent and predictable criteria, fully available to the applicants prior
to the initiation of the process. (Principle 1)

There must be a clear and pre-published application process using objective and
measurable criteria. (Rec 9)

There is also a potential conflict here with Principle G of the existing gTLD
policy, which states:

The string evaluation process must not infringe the applicant's freedom of
expression rights that are protected under internationally recognized
principles of law.

Indeed, when we refer to "national law" we must bear in mind that many nations'
laws contain strong protections for freedom of expression that allow many forms
of expression to offend the "sensitivities" of some groups.

In other words, Chuck, if you really want to ensure that this WG is an
IMPLEMENTATION process for Rec 6 we must ensure that any of its recommendations
do not conflict with other elements of the established new gTLD policy. Thus,
it is a non-starter to propose "implementation" mechanisms that effectively
change not only Rec 6, but also some of the basic principles of the policy and
other Recommendations.

For additional proposals for minor wording revisions, see the attached
document, which has the tracking function on.

--MM