ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] RE: Initial Draft ToR for Recommendation 6 Implementation Discussion

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>, "soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] RE: Initial Draft ToR for Recommendation 6 Implementation Discussion
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:41:21 -0400

From: owner-soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Richard Tindal

I question use of the word 'preserving' in this sentence:  "preserving
the.................universal resolvability of the DNS (as noted in
Recommendation 4)."

I don't think there's universal resolvability of the DNS today.  For example, I
don't think .TW names resolve in the PRC.  As preserve means to 'keep
unchanged' I don't think we can preserve something that doesn't exist.
Also,  I don't see specific reference to 'universal resolvability' in GNSO
Recommendation 4.

I think a better word than 'preserving' is 'maximizing'.   i think 'maximizing'
also works well with the additional concepts introduced in Milton's version of
the sentence.

This is a very good observation, Richard.
There are a couple of countries that block .il (Israel) as well. Some
e-commerce providers have chosen to "block" exchanges with certain TLDs (I
recall .ro having some issues like that).

But, do these actions mean that the DNS is not "universally resolvable?" I
think not. The DNS is resolva-able, it's just that some participants in the
network choose not to avail themselves of the resolution capability.
Furthermore, if ICANN refuses to create a TLD because one or two countries
might choose to block it, I don't see how that improves the general
resolvability of the DNS. Do you?

I think we need to engage in a more well-rounded discussion with GAC members
about this "universal resolvability" issue.

--MM