ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

[soac-mapo] Which terminology needs review?

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [soac-mapo] Which terminology needs review?
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 10:20:02 -0400

Hi,

Since I caused such a mess with my procedural issue in the ToR, I figure i
should take a plunge toward the substantive issues.

The ToR states that our purpose is:

> 1.     Review the terminology and the dispute resolution procedures related
> to recommendation 6 in the new gTLD Draft Applicant Guidebook, version 4.
> (For convenience, relevant excerpts of the guidebook are included in Appendix
> A and a flow chart of the dispute process in included in Appendix B.)

What terminology do we mean to review?

In looking at the excerpt in A, I find the following terms/phrases that seem to
require some common understanding:

- Morality and Public Order
- Objection
- generally accepted legal norms
- general principles of international law
- inclusive standing base
- “quick look” procedure
- frivolous and/or abusive objections
- manifestly unfounded
- abuse of the right to object
- “highly objectionable” gTLD applications
- right to freedom of expression,
- special duties and responsibilities.
- certain limited restrictions
- Incitement to
- promotion of
- violent lawless action
- discrimination based upon ...
- child pornography
- sexual abuse of children

I am not sure If I captured too many, or whether I missed some.

I am sure the definitions are obvious to most of us.  I also expect that those
obvious definitions differ somewhat.

I have my own understanding of all of these.  But as opposed to all of us
starting to give our understanding of the list (or some other more appropriate
list)  I wonder whether the Implementation Team in its initial work with the
DRSP (International Chambers of Commerce) has already worked on definitions for
some of these word/phrases.  If so, it might be better to start with that -
what does the implementation mean by all of these?

thanks
a.