ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Background info?

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Background info?
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 20:50:09 +0200

Hi

On Aug 26, 2010, at 7:23 PM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm not totally sure that the posting of background information or relevant
> news stories here is welcomed or frowned upon, but to me it may help with the
> discussion to know what is already happening.
>
> By this I mean the existing practices of governments using Internet
> infrastructure to block access to sites with objectionable content based on
> names or IP addresses. For example there is this article from The Economist
> on such blocking efforts in Russia and this report from the OpenNet
> Initiative on a variety of blocking tactics in place in the United Arab
> Emirates -- some of which block based on TLD.

Just a FWIW, ONI has published 2 books in a series I edit for the MIT Press and
is now working on a third focused on Asia.  If you follow some links to the
book site http://www.access-controlled.net/contact/ you'll find a couple of
nice synthesis pieces on new forms of access control, e.g. Ron and Rafal's
chapter on Beyond Denial: Introducing Next Generation Information Access
Controls, plus more country profiles.

> Is it of value to this group to attempt to collect such information? To me,
> we can't ignore what's already being done in the real world, and any efforts
> we make will need to complement -- or at least recognize -- existing
> practice. Trying to dismiss, ignore or regulate existing government action
> seems pointless and indeed counter-productive. It's clear that measures by
> national governments to filter/ban domains with objectionable content already
> exist, and it's important to our efforts (IMO) to determine how our proposals
> here will actually affect such efforts without doing damage to other policy
> priorities.

Agree

> Of course, if there is a consensus that such news items and background info
> will not help, I'll stop sending them. I have no intention to be disruptive.
>
> - Evan

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance