ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Is selective blocking by local governments really a problem?

  • To: "'Antony Van Couvering'" <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'soac-mapo'" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Is selective blocking by local governments really a problem?
  • From: "Terry L Davis, P.E." <tdavis2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:12:57 -0700

Antony

I don't really think blocking specific "names" will ever work.  Every day
the spammers find new and interesting name variations for what they are
offering to get by my email filters with.  I think the same will true in our
case.

As Andrei notes, blocking today is really hard!  But what to watch are the
coming changes.

Few things to watch in terms of blocking.

-          BGP routing has scaled about as far as we can push a
fundamentally conceptually broken protocol.  Its replacement will be
critical here; if it is "location based", a lot of our assumptions about the
difficulty of blocking may need to change.

-          Expect to see more global entities, especially in the financial
sector, to  develop "closed and tightly encryption networks" for their
business uses.  (i.e. A follow-on, don't do your online banking at an open
access wireless point regardless of who's or which country!)

-          The blocking and other nation/state laws regarding an ISP's
responsibility for service within their boundaries (including airspace) are
not new.  We will deal with them.  Most wireless mobile platforms are
"location aware" and adjust their firewalls, protocols, and other services
to accommodate nation/state laws where they are.

-          If IPv6 address allocations align with nation/state boundaries,
we may have a problem!

-          As blocking increases, expect to see encryption increase.  If I
block all encrypted transmissions, then I probably shut my own internal
economy down.

-          Expect to see new providers that offer email, banking, basic web
access, etc; via a two-factor VPN service.

-          Expect to see a lot of the new business networks to require you
to have a "secure cyber ID" to use them.   There will still be Internet
"anonymity" but you won't want to use it for all your Internet uses,
especially financial.

-          Most troubling to me are the initial moves by various ISP
themselves to block protocols and/or "prioritize" traffic they carry.  This
is in my mind the most probable actor in "Internet fragmentation"; more so
than nation/state laws.

I do understand the political need for something like MAPO; I just don't
know to do it reasonably without tossing more delays into the new TLD
process.

Take care

Terry

PS: Remember how long the XXX domain has been in play; seemed to make great
sense for use by any country's legal system but it wasn't that simple.