ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Is selective blocking by local governments really a problem?

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Is selective blocking by local governments really a problem?
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 22:27:47 +0000

On 30 Aug 2010, at 21:58, Antony Van Couvering wrote:

> What's the conflict between varying degrees of permissiveness and the
> principle of the single, interoperable web?
>
> At first glance it seems intractable.  If the lowest common denominator is
> used, so that the entire world will see only what the least permissive
> society allows, then as Avri points out it would intolerable for most of us.
> On the other hand, If local communities are not allowed to block what they
> deem offensive (e.g., much of the Internet, in the UAE's case), they will go
> off and create another Internet according to their standards, and the unified
> root remains an ideal but is no longer a reality.   To me, this has always
> seemed to be the biggest conceptual hurdle.
>
> But the problem may not be so great.  While Evan's litany of what the UAE
> censors block is shocking to many of us, we should consider that there are
> plenty of instances in the "west" where we are not allowed to see certain
> content.   This includes financial information of others, medical records,
> anything behind a paywall, anything that requires a password that you don't
> have.   In some hotels and airline lounges, you can connect to the Internet,
> but only browse the company site until the staff gives you a code.   This is
> not what the UAE blocks (though they might block this as well), but they are
> nonetheless limitations on our ability to use the Internet.  There are many
> such examples.

I could add a few others ..

Schools and educational institutions in Ireland impose limitations on what
students can access.

A lot of businesses restrict what their staff can access

And the entire filtering debate is kicking off again over here .. ..

> In each case, you have a local community allowing some content and
> disallowing other content, for reasons of policy, morality, property, privacy
> and so on.   And yet we still have a unified root and we still have national
> laws and customs.  Local communities must (and do) have the right and ability
> to some or all users from viewing certain content.  Everyone does it, for the
> reasons that appear right to them.
>
> From this perspective, what we ought then to consider in our group is not
> what may be sensitive or not, but rather what rises to the level where the
> very existence of the top-level domain causes damage to a large number of
> people.  There are obvious examples of such TLDs.  For example, the mere fact
> of a TLD whose name mocks or incites violence against some group of people is
> very likely to be intolerable to the targeted group.   This, I think, is a
> legitimate reason for blocking a TLD application.  If the TLD name isn't in
> itself deeply offensive, then we're talking about content within the TLD, and
> at that point it's up to local authorities, and individuals who use the
> Internet, to block content that they find offensive.  That blocked content
> might even include an entire TLD -- which is kind of the premise upon which
> .XXX was built.
>
> This is definitely not the venue for deciding what value system is superior.
> Every society blocks some content, so far without great harm to the Internet.
>  So my suggestion is that for the purposes of this group, which is dedicated
> to considering questions of morality, is that we forget about what content
> the TLD is likely to have (a guess at best), and concentrate only on the name
> itself.  I think it will make our task much easier.
>
> Antony

Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Brand Protection