ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Background info?

  • To: "'Evan Leibovitch'" <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Background info?
  • From: "Andrei Kolesnikov" <andrei@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 00:13:06 +0400

Evan,

Of course I’m not taking this personally – there is no reason for this. In
every country there are rather big number of people who think they can control
the internet. The media will use every case to address the issue and make a big
story out of little things. This is valid for Russia  and for the rest of the
world.  Concerning your assumption about getting around: I can only speak for
the big part of Russian population: many from the 43 million regular internet
users can and will avoid DNS blocking. Internet is young in Russia + social
studies and few real cases show, that if you tell Russian “do not go to this
site” the number of visitors will multiply overnight. It’s out of national
curiosity and genome reaction to the 70 years of total censorship. Closing
torrents.ru resulted in increased popularity of the rutracker.org (moved to)
and increased torrent traffic detected by ISPs. But I don’t want to make an
assumption that this is a case with other nations.

--andrei