ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Background info?

  • To: "'Evan Leibovitch'" <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Background info?
  • From: "Andrei Kolesnikov" <andrei@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:35:39 +0400

Dear Evan, there is no such things as global blocking of some URLs/IPs/Content
in Russia. There is no central system nor technical possibility. There is no
central proxy/filter lists. Sometimes attempts to block occurs as local court
decision  in far away regions out of judge’s knowledge on how internet works.
All these cases listed in Economist, but none have been implemented . Blocking
only by domain name - technically useless.  The only way to completely control
/ filter the net -  turn off the light.

MAPO issue is a design of the process to make politicians happy. It has nothing
to do with technology.

--andrei