ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] On "universal resolvability" and useful questions that emerged yesterday

  • To: Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] On "universal resolvability" and useful questions that emerged yesterday
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:24:42 -0700

Bertrand,

Thank you for this resume and overview.  It is very helpful.

At the heart of your argument is an interesting paradox.  Shall we set up rules
to block certain strings in order to preserve universal availability?  If a
string is blocked, it is available to no-one at all, and hence is the opposite
of universally available.  If it is blocked only partially, for example by
certain governments, then it is not universally available, but it is
nonetheless far more available than if it had never seen the light of day at
all.

What are your thoughts then on .XXX, which exists to be blocked?

Antony