ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Redefiningthe 4th criteria

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Redefiningthe 4th criteria
  • From: Stuart Lawley <stuart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:29:58 -0400

Whilst, one one hand I agree with Antony about going down ratholes, this is
exactly what the WG is tasked with, to try to put some flesh on these concepts
and then set some kind of "bar".

The reality is that , in the limit, whether decided by the ICC or the ICANN
Board itself, the criteria is going to be , to a degree, "subjective", as it
simply has to be, in the absence of being able to define these on a global
basis.

Referring to Bertrands message this morning, I think it is critical that any
would be applicants are made well aware of the potential subjective treatment
of any controversial application (unlike the 2004 round that was purely
objective against published criteria) and that theses "judgement calls" will be
made relatively early on in the process.

Whether the inclusion of subjective criteria , which is absolutely what we are
now talking about, goes against other GAC or GNSO principles for the
introduction of new gTLDs, is a different matter.

This whole subject cannot be decided in an objective way. It will be
subjective, subject to a broad panel decision and a relatively high bar, as I
see it.

Stuart