ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Another proposal for discussion...

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Another proposal for discussion...
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 17:01:13 -0700

I think this direction makes a lot of sense, since it bypasses trying to define
the undefinable and while  defining criteria for the Board to use, does not try
to "objectify" or quantify what will always be a subjective decision.  It also
places the onus on the Board but allows for input (not that they wouldn't get
it anyway).  I like the supermajority, which preserves the presumption that
applications will pass.

I would say that the appeal mechanism, which I believe is needed, should have
some meat on it, such as the grounds for appeal -- e.g., that there is a
redeeming public value...

Antony