ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Another proposal for discussion...

  • To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Another proposal for discussion...
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 11:47:00 -0700

A few thoughts on the proposal that has been discussed:

I like the proposal of jurists providing the board with independent advice on whether a string is universally and unambiguously repugnant before the board makes the final decision. The decision needs to rest with the board for accountability purposes. The ICC is not the appropriate body to be making MAPO recommendations to the board.

I think it is important to have a high threshold vote of the board before a string can be rejected - like 2/3 or 3/4 must disapprove of it. But we should not want to re-open the decision after the board has voted with public comments or 'community arbitration', etc. (I'm intrigued by the idea to appeal to an international court, but am not sure what would be the right court).

I definitely do not support adding "sensitivities" to this list of objections because that is when we get into ambiguous and subjective judgments. Plus "sensitivities" can easily be objected to under the separate "community" objection process.

It is important that the MAPO determinations be about the string itself and not the site's content or the people applying for the string.

Thanks,
Robin