ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Another proposal for discussion...

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Another proposal for discussion...
  • From: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 11:55:55 -0700

Hi Philip,

I synthesized language from various sources in the reference materials,
including those you cited.  The first thing I tried to determine was
an acceptable (to this WG) level of 'sensitivity' in the standard.    I tried
to find a place in the following continuum that might work for this Group:

This application:    "Mildly agitates me.........is disconcerting to
me.........offends me..........profoundly offends me...........Shocks ever
fibre of my being"

Then I sought to give guidance on what it is that might elicit a reaction (per
above).  But,  as Antony and others have pointed out,  I don't think it's
possible to make this 'source of the reaction'
list exhaustive.  As such, I've tried to simply give guidance to the deciders
in terms of  'relevant laws or broadly accepted societal norms or conventions'.
  The ultimate decision as to what profoundly offends
rests, in my proposal,  with the deciders.  I've recommended the Board be the
deciders,  but this could be expanded or changed.

Then I tried to balance any reaction (above) with a 'redeeming value' provision
such that even an App that was profoundly offensive might nevertheless get
through if it had sufficient public value.

Per your question 2. (below) my thinking is an AND, AND, AND standard,   but I
think other approaches could work.

Per your question 3. the possible flaw in the first EU language is that it
implies (at least to me) there is one set of society norms.  This is probably
workable for EU but probably not workable globally.   I tried to address that
by saying 'broadly accepted' societal norms.

The thing that may be flawed in the second set of EU language is the word
'normal' .  We may end up in long debates about deciding what is normal.

All that said,  I am fully open to any reasoned changes to the proposal.

RT