ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)

  • To: "'Bertrand de La Chapelle'" <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:33:44 -0400

From: Bertrand de La Chapelle [mailto:bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx]

I am sad to have to repeat that again and again : this procedure is not about
giving a veto right to any single public authority. I thought this was already
cleared. This discussion is primarily about procedures guaranteeing fair
hearing (even to governments) who may have respectable concerns that actually
are their moral and constitutional responsibility towards their citizens.

Dearest Bertrand
You would not have to repeat this again and again if your arguments were
consistent, founded in international law, and well thought out. Unfortunately,
they are not. I am not buying your assertion that this isn't about veto rights.
If a government doesn't have any specific right to block a TLD based on its
objection, then why is the objection being made? Objections, in the context of
the new gTLD process, is all about blocking the existence of new TLDs, about
not letting them exist.

A government with real authority to take action at the national level has no
reason to object in the _global_ gTLD application process, unless it believes
that the TLD string contradicts global laws or norms. At the national level, it
can simply take action to make use of the string illegal or to block it.

So you tell me: what is the impact and intent of these objections?