ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)

  • To: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)
  • From: Bertrand de La Chapelle <bdelachapelle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 17:34:50 +0200

Dearest Milton,

In the post below, are you restricting the freedom of expression of
governments ? I'm deeply surprised ;-)

Jokes aside, Chuck is right : nobody is suggesting what you are assuming.

I am sad to have to repeat that again and again : this procedure is not
about giving a veto right to any single public authority. I thought this was
already cleared. This discussion is primarily about procedures guaranteeing
fair hearing (even to governments) who may have respectable concerns that
actually are their moral and constitutional responsibility towards their
citizens.

Besides, as this is indeed a global critical infrastructure (the root is a
global common resource), may I remind you that the famous definition of
Internet governance includes the words : "with the full participation of
governments, the private sector, civil society and international
organizations" (and I even voluntarily omit the terms "in their respective
roles").

You cannot really mean that governments have NO legitimacy to have even
their voice heard in the process we are trying to establish ?

I understand your anxiety but please can we assume that people here are
trying in good faith to find a solution acceptable for all (even you) and
are not pushing some hidden and mischevious agenda ? Let's not get
distracted.

Best as usual

Bertrand

--
Bertrand de La Chapelle

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")