ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)

  • To: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)
  • From: "Mary Wong" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 14:37:48 -0400

Milton, that's just it - they (and any other individual government)
should not. What I was exploring (based on comments by Bertrand and
other GAC representatives) was the possibility that individual
governments could - based on existing national law and not just
"sensitivities" or a perceived likelihood to offend - raise an objection
of some sort.

What I suggest is: (1) an objection (whether by a
person/group/government) *must* be based on law; and (2) if this CWG is
going to recommend that an individual government can lodge a national
law objection, this should *not* be treated the same as an objection
that is based on principles of international law.

Based on what we just heard on the call with Jones Day, it seems to me
that:

(1) "principles of international law" has a recognized meaning whereas
"international principles of law" does not;
(2) "ordre publique" is not the same thing as MAPO and is a more
recognized and clearer term than "public interest";
(3) there are established international institutions (e.g. the European
Court of Human Rights) that can, and have, determined whether or not
particular actions are against "ordre publique"; and
(4) neither "principles of international law" nor "ordre publique"
extends to cultural sensitivities or potentially offensive (but not
illegal) activities.

May I therefore suggest that:

(1) as Evan has suggested, this CWG consider recommending that
individual government objections - if recognized - be dealt with under a
modified Community Objections Procedure rather than a standalone MAPO
process?

(2) as I've suggested previously, that any individual government
objections must be based on a clearly-delineated, specific national law
prohibition?

(3) as Richard has suggested, MAPO as a title/category be renamed as
something more general (how does "Other Objections Based on Principles
of Ordre Publique" sound)?

(4) in addition to the remaining issues, at least on these few, we go
on to consider the specific ordre publique grounds that could/should be
in place (i.e. the 4 existing legal norms identified) and a possible
appeals mechanism?

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584