ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)

  • To: "'Mary Wong'" <Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 14:46:18 -0400

Very clear, Mary, thanks.
So to respond:

From: Mary Wong [mailto:Mary.Wong@xxxxxxxxxxx]

What I suggest is: (1) an objection (whether by a person/group/government)
*must* be based on law;

Agreed.

and (2) if this CWG is going to recommend that an individual government can
lodge a national law objection, this should *not* be treated the same as an
objection that is based on principles of international law.

Agreed. Although I still don’t understand the status or purpose of these
national law objections. Perhaps it needs to be made clearer (for the
governments’ sake) that these objections based on national law do NOT provide a
basis for refusing an application under Rec. 6.

Based on what we just heard on the call with Jones Day, it seems to me that:

(1) "principles of international law" has a recognized meaning whereas
"international principles of law" does not;
(2) "ordre publique" is not the same thing as MAPO and is a more recognized and
clearer term than "public interest";
(3) there are established international institutions (e.g. the European Court
of Human Rights) that can, and have, determined whether or not particular
actions are against "ordre publique"; and
(4) neither "principles of international law" nor "ordre publique" extends to
cultural sensitivities or potentially offensive (but not illegal) activities.

Very good summary, imho

May I therefore suggest that:

(1)   as Evan has suggested, this CWG consider recommending that individual
government objections - if recognized - be dealt with under a modified
Community Objections Procedure rather than a standalone MAPO process?
Presumably this would mean that the government would have to be a part of the
community targeted by the TLD, and thus would provide a more limited scope of
objection

(2)   as I've suggested previously, that any individual government objections
must be based on a clearly-delineated, specific national law prohibition?

Agreed.

(3)   as Richard has suggested, MAPO as a title/category be renamed as
something more general (how does "Other Objections Based on Principles of Ordre
Publique" sound)?

Would prefer “principles of international law”

(4) in addition to the remaining issues, at least on these few, we go on to
consider the specific ordre publique grounds that could/should be in place
(i.e. the 4 existing legal norms identified) and a possible appeals mechanism?