ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)

  • To: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>, "soac-mapo" <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Third "draft recommendation" (individual government objections)
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 01:16:41 -0400

Milton,

I think I understand your argument but I am not convinced by your
conclusion.  You are correct that any dispute that is filed will
undoubtedly be intended to eliminate (veto) an applied-for string but I
do not think it then follows that we are giving every
person/organization veto power.  The GNSO Final Report clearly gave
individual governments standing to object but we certainly did not
intend that to be giving them authority to veto a new gTLD and I believe
that in this WG we have agreed that no one entity should have veto power
except for the Board.

Are you saying that an individual government should not be able to file
an objection?  If so, that would be contrary to the GNSO final
recommendations.

Chuck