ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Note of GAC position on paying for objections

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Note of GAC position on paying for objections
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 13:51:08 -0400

On 8 September 2010 11:25, Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,
As long as the provision was the same for ALAC as for GAC, I think this
would make sense for the AC itself to be able to file an objection on a
non-fee basis.
On the other hand, I do not agree that an individual country should be able
to file on a non-fee basis.

+1

If religious and cultural group is required to pay for the ability to
object, it seems downright obscene that governments should not. However, if
objections are so clear and broadly-based that they can attract general
support of one of the ACs, then I could support the cost being waived.

Also there is a fee to respond to an objection.  Should the applicant  who
must respond to the objection also be free of the fee.  Otherwise several
nations with similar beliefs (about homosexuality for example) file similar
but not identical objections, and the applicant could forced to pay a
separate fee to respond to each one.  This would then constitute a denial of
service attack by the nations.  To allow this on a non-fee basis would be
very wrong in my opinion.

This particular ability -- to spend an applicant into oblivion using MAPO
objections -- has always been a concern of At-Large and a major flaw in the
current process,

- Evan