ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Draft recommendation on using a DRSP

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Draft recommendation on using a DRSP
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:17:30 -0400

On 8 September 2010 10:22, Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx> wrote:

>  As requested:
> Draft recommendation ###
>
> There should be a DRSP charged with making a recommendation on an
> objection.
> The DRSP should be appointed by the Board.
> As in all other areas of ICANN policy the Board will ultimately decide
> whether to adopt or reject the recommendation of the DRSP.

Just a nit but... if the purpose of this recommendation is to provide
third-party expert advice to the Board, why are we still referring to it as
a DSRP?

Such a group is being asked to provide guidance on the legitimacy of
objections, not mediate/resolve between applicant and objectors. Or is it?
Let's be clear on the intent.

Also, this group may or may not be a paid group of experts; the reference to
"service provider" still connotes the kind of outsourcing that formed a
large part of my objection to the original process.

- Evan