ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] RE: Note of GAC position on paying for objections

  • To: Frank March <Frank.March@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] RE: Note of GAC position on paying for objections
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 15:31:15 -0400

On 8 September 2010 15:14, Frank March <Frank.March@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi Milton:
>
> sovereignity in a word.  I am conveying my interpretation of what the GAC
> would be likely to respond with based on discussion held in previous GAC
> meetings.  I do not seek to justify but to inform.

Frank, I am puzzled by this. I do not understand the logical link between
countries' assertion of sovereignty and their demand not to pay to do this.

Countries pay for their own border maintenance, diplomatic staff, armies and
every other means used to implement their assertions of sovereignty. What is
the justification for being excused from bearing the cost of asserting such
rights in this instance?

For some reason I'm struck by a vision of a country attempting to try a case
in the Hague and then appealing for Legal Aid.

Someone please help me understand this point of view, beyond a universal
instinct to get others to pay for one's own expenses if one can get away
with it.

- Evan