ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Objection title

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Objection title
  • From: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 01:30:04 +0200

Le 10/09/2010 00:21, Richard Tindal a écrit :
> There seems to be broad agreement to replace "Morality and Public
> Order".    I think the replacement candidates are:
>
> *1.    "Objections Based on the Principles of Ordre Public"  *
>
> or its Anglo cousin..
>
> *2.    "Public Order Objections"*
>
> or..
>
> *3.   "Public Interest Objections"* --- I recall multiple push-backs
> on this
>
> or...
>
> *4.    "Objections Based on General Principles of International Law'*
>

> I left off my favorite -- "Other Objections" -- as no-one seems to
> share my love for the bland.

Ordre Public can be translated in English as "Public Policy", and not
"Public Order" since the latter might have connotations principally of a
criminal nature.
According to our telephone discussions, this appears not to be the same
thing as "General Principles of International Law" either, since
objections based on a government's evaluation of a word likely to cause
local disruption would also be received by the DRSP.
I therefore suggest the translation of "Ordre Public", such as "Public
Policy".

This gives rise to the rather onerous:  "Objections Based on Public
Policy or General Principles of International Law".

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD