ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Objection title

  • To: Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Objection title
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 20:13:26 -0400

On 9 September 2010 19:30, Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond <ocl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Ordre Public can be translated in English as "Public Policy", and not
> "Public Order" since the latter might have connotations principally of a
> criminal nature.
> According to our telephone discussions, this appears not to be the same
> thing as "General Principles of International Law" either, since objections
> based on a government's evaluation of a word likely to cause local
> disruption would also be received by the DRSP.
> I therefore suggest the translation of "Ordre Public", such as "Public
> Policy".

I like Olivier's reasoning.

And if, as has been suggested, substantial parts of the process are to be
combined with community-based objections, the collective title could be
simply:

"Community and Public Policy Objections"

"Public Policy" is IMO inclusive of "incitement" and "General Principles of
International Law", but it also includes the possibility that objections
will be submitted if a group believes that a string is grossly obscene. (It
may not succeed in  getting blocked, but at least the string is "on record"
as being offensive to someone.) Also, it nicely accommodates instances in
which a government is objecting on behalf of one of its internal
communities.

Another possible title, brief yet descriptive, is "Government and Community
Objections", making general reference to the source rather than the purpose
of the objections.

- Evan