ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

Re: [soac-mapo] Exchange of letters between GAC and ICANN re: morality issues

  • To: Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [soac-mapo] Exchange of letters between GAC and ICANN re: morality issues
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 07:26:41 -0500

On Nov 29, 2010, at 5:48 AM, Konstantinos Komaitis wrote:

> I understand that the role of CWG is not to create policy, but surely the
> conclusions of such working groups should be acknowledged and deliberated by
> ICANN and its staff.

Konstantinos:

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment here and your concern that folks
would not want to serve on these groups if the output would be ignored by
ICANN.  In the case of our group, however, I think that ICANN and its staff did
exactly what you suggest.  ICANN published a 36-page paper acknowledging our
work and providing a response and rationale to each of our recommendations (see
http://icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/explanatory-memo-morality-public-order-12nov10-en.pdf).
  They provided a detailed response for the recommendations that were accepted
and for those that were not accepted or questioned.  Just because ICANN doesn't
follow certain input does not mean that the input was ignored.

I also agree with Bertrand that we should work on a model for future groups
like ours.  It would be shame not to.

Best,

Jon