ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[soac-mapo]

RE: [soac-mapo] Exchange of letters between GAC and ICANN re: morality issues

  • To: soac-mapo <soac-mapo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [soac-mapo] Exchange of letters between GAC and ICANN re: morality issues
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:46:21 -0500

Avri
This is course is exactly right. And Bertrand's judicious comments are also on
target and an indication of a good faith effort to cooperate. What we're
getting from the businessmen, on the other hand, is just an impatience to
proceed motivated by financial concerns; I think this needs to be acknowledged
because it is being dressed up as a procedural argument when it's really not
about that. I think ICANN staff has also developed a bit of a vested interest
in retaining as much as possible of their earlier implementation work simply
because they, like the rest of us, are all sick of the process and want to
bring it to a close.

While I strongly sympathize with the costliness of the incredibly long
gestation time for new TLD policy, I cannot accept a willingness to sell out
basic human expression rights in exchange for bringing the new gTLD program a
month or two closer. Let's solve this problem correctly by relying on the CWG's
work, which is the only thing we have that approximates a general agreement!
Moreover, if we don't rely on the work of the CWG what else is there? There is
a clear risk that the entire ICANN policy process will be circumvented by a
clandestinely-negotiated deal between the board and the GAC, or litigated, or
both.

--MM