ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-travel]

RE: No, you DON'T own .travel

  • To: <stld-rfp-travel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: No, you DON'T own .travel
  • From: "Aaron D. Sanders" <adsanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 22:41:26 -0400

Daniel,

I agree with your opinions on individuals that claim to own the rights to particular TLDs. In the last round of TLD additions, it was determined that no one can copyright a TLD, specifically proven in the case of .xxx, as the letters 'XXX' have been a recognized symbol owned by no one for many years. The claims for .TLD copyright ownership are without merit, to say the least.

I will agree with you that organizations owning a domain in New.net's .xxx or .travel probably do not have any hope of holding claim to their domain, be it legally or through the UDRP. They chose to register with an alternative system, and now competition is what they are getting. However, I do not agree that they should not have ownership of their domains if .travel and .xxx are added to the DNS. This is just another bad faith decision by ICANN. If they did not want New.net to handle the registry duties for those TLDs, then they could have chosen someone that would grandfather currently registered domains over. Alternate systems are only attempting to right all of the wrongs that ICANN has done in the past. In ICANN, we have an organization that has no oversight or accountability, and that rules over the DNS as it pleases. I thought Milton Mueller's paper on alternative systems was especially insightful. We have no other way to change operations at ICANN, especially once they stripped the At Large Membership of all of its power. If ICANN really cared about the Internet, they would grandfather .travel and .xxx domains registered with New.net, because it is the right thing to do for the Internet. But I think we all know that they will not do that, because it might diminish ICANN's power.

Aaron

Aaron D. Sanders
A+   Network+   MCP Windows 98
Second year student in the Master of Science in Information Technology program at Rochester Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science in Information Systems - Clarion University of Pennsylvania
PGP Public Key available from http://www.adsanders.net
Professional Web Site: http://www.adsanders.net