ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[stld-rfp-xxx]

.xxx comments

  • To: stld-rfp-xxx@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .xxx comments
  • From: VirtuMike <virtucon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:00:32 -0400

Hi, I wanted to let you know my opinion on the .xxx TLD.

I think this is a VERY BAD idea. This would have amazing effects on the internet as we know it.

First, the company administering it is offering to charge TEN TIMES the going rate for a .com. I see a HUGE problem here.

Second, there will be MASSIVE lawsuits stemming from existing domain holders' rights to their .xxx domains. Sad to say it, but you would more than likely be dragged into court and named as a contributory infringer.

Third, this will have chilling effects on free speech. For greed reasons, the new registrar administering .xxx domains would lobby to force anyone with any content that may be objectionable in Utah to purchase one of his $60 domains. Should this be effective, entire countries, ISP's, and search engines would be able to snap their fingers and cut off all PROTECTED SPEECH. The internet exists at this point to channel free speech through the world, and should not be lined with obstacles.

Please note that I am a five-year member of the Free Speech Coalition. As far as I know, Mr. Greg Dumas does NOT speak on behalf of the organization or any other group of webmasters. We are currently researching why he would represent himself as such and why he would come forth with such an opinion. Groups that he named in the letter he sent to you have told me that they are opposed to this TLD.